MySpace.com averaged 76.35% of all US visits in 2007* among a custom category of 53 leading social-networking websites, followed by Facebook.com, Bebo.com and BlackPlanet.com with 12.57%, 1.24% and 0.87%, respectively, according to Hitwise.
The remaining 49 social networking websites in the custom category accounted for 8.97% of US visits, Hitwise said.
Among the Hitwise data released:
- In December 2007, MySpace.com received 72.32% of US visits among the social networking category, Facebook.com received 16.03% of visits and Bebo.com received 1.09% of visits.
- MyYearbook had the largest gain in market share in December 2007, increasing 407% compared with December of the previous year. Facebook and Club Penguin followed, increasing 51% and 48%, respectively.
- US traffic to all social-networking websites increased 4% year over year.
- In December 2007, MySpace received 95% of its share of traffic from returning visitors. Among the top five social-networking websites by market share, Facebook and BlackPlanet.com followed with 93% and 89%, respectively, of traffic returning from the previous month.
- In December 2007, the average time spent on Bebo led among the top five social-networking websites, with users spending an average of 30 minutes and 24 seconds on the website.
- Facebook experienced the largest growth in average time spent, increasing 100% in Dec. 2007 to 19 minutes and 51 seconds from just under 10 minutes in Dec. 2006.
* Data is based on averaging the monthly market share of US visits from Jan. 2007 to Dec. 2007.
Youth & Gen X