Several humorous internet videos promoting beer and snack food were among the top-10 and up-and-coming-viral campaigns selected by video-content distributor goviral as the most interesting and innovative of last month.
Building upon a trend started in January 2010, the videos compiled by goviral last month were mostly light in tone. Whereas videos selected in January featured two AIDS-themed public service announcements, in February only one public service announcement made the list: a wordless seat belt promotion from UK-based Sussex Safer Roads Partnership that uses simple but powerful family imagery to remind drivers to buckle up.
Two videos promoting beer made the goviral list, including the number one video, featuring employees in an office stripping naked to win a Bud Light, as well as a video from Argentine beer brand Cerveza Andes promoting the use of science fiction technology to make your girlfriend think you’re not at the bar having a beer.
Two humorous videos that were originally aired during the 2010 Super Bowl telecast were selected by goviral last month: a video featuring legendary comedienne Betty White playing a nasty game of pickup football to promote Snickers, and a video demonstrating the danger of stealing Doritos from a “gym ninja.” A simple video promoting Google’s search capabilities that was originally released online in November 2009 before being aired during the Super Bowl also made the list.
February’s selection of viral videos was generally less global than the top 10 videos selected for January, which mostly featured global themes and messaging that can easily cross cultures. At least half of February’s videos required knowledge of the English language and US or UK popular culture and humor to fully appreciate.
The top 10 picks for February, with links to view on YouTube:
1. Bud Light – Clothing Drive, agency: DDB
2. Sussex Safer Roads Partnership – Embrace Life, agency: Rockutainment
3. Old Spice – The Man You Could Smell Like, agency: Wieden & Kennedy
4. Google – Parisian Love, agency: Google Creative Lab
5. Nolan’s Cheddar – Mousetrap, agency: John Nolan (parody ad)
6. Puma – Hardchorus, agency: Droga5
7. Snickers – Pick Up Game (Super Bowl), agency: BBDO
8. Doritos – Gym Ninja (Super Bowl), agency: Goodby Silverstein and Partners
9. Cerveza Andes – Teletransporter, agency: Del Campo Nazca Saatchi & Saatchi
10. Burton – Shaun White Double McTwist, agency: N/A
About the Rankings: goviral issues a monthly top-10 list of viral video rankings on its site, including additional commentary about the videos, their approaches and why the firm thinks they are viral or likely to become viral in the future.
Subscribe now to receive more charts and articles like this each day in your inbox. A fast read in a clean, mobile-friendly design.