The study about moms’ media habits found that the most common online activity for them is checking and sending email, reported by 85% of survey respondents.
Other activities in the top 10:
Study findings are detailed in a report, which delves into the media and technology habits and purchasing patterns of mothers.
Additional findings about moms and technology:
- Overall, full-time working moms use technology at the highest rates.
- The cell phone is the technology used most often by moms to communicate with their kids, and 80% say it is the direct line to their child and babysitter.
- 60% of moms use text messaging, and African-American moms and Hispanic moms text more than Caucasian moms.
- MySpace is the most common personal networking site used by all moms (42%).
- Best Buy is the leading electronic retailer for moms of all income groups, and particularly moms in high-income households.
“Mothers, now more than ever, are using technology like video, blogs and wireless devices to multi-task through their busy days,” said Maria Bailey, CEO and founder of BSM Media. “2009 stands to produce a record number of tech-savvy mothers bridging devices together to create everyday solutions.”
About the survey: The comprises a nationally representative sample of American mothers contacted between June and July 2008, via online invitation. The sample was balanced on region, household size, population density, income and ethnicity. An ending sample of 1,033 Moms with children under age 18 living at home completed the online questionnaire. The research firm Insight to Action analyzed results.