The videos on the list – which reflect North American, European, African and South American locales and an global cadre of agency creators – use a variety of approaches to hold viewers’ attention – including off-beat, cheeky humor, bizarre events, memorable music, anticipation of the unexpected and recollections of movie scenes.
As was also case with the top viral videos in August 2009, the videos continue to highlight the international nature of viral video and illustrate how various companies are using these vehicles to build global brand awareness that attempts to span cultures.
The top 10 picks for October, with links to view on YouTube:
- Volkswagen – The Fun Theory, agency: DDB Stockholm
- Google Wave Cinema – Pulp Fiction, agency: Whirled Interactive
- FIFA 2010 – How big can football get?, agency: Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam
- Rio de Janeiro – Olympic Games 2016
- Diesel - Quique The Head, agency: Shackleton
- Canal+ – A Great Story, agency: BETC Euro RSCG
- ReThink Breast Cancer – BoobyBall, agency: Rhett & Link
- Paul Smith for Evian - More than a bottle
- Sony Ericsson – Hopper Invasion, agency: Saatchi and Saatchi
- Cadbury – Zingolo feat. Tinny, agency: Fallon London
About the rankings: Goviral issues a monthly top-10 list of viral video rankings on its site, including additional commentary about the videos, their approaches and why they are viral or likely to become viral in the future.