Vevo Grows Audience 9%
Meanwhile, Vevo increased its unique audience 9% month-over-month, from 55.2 million to 60.4 million. Number three Yahoo saw its unique audience rise 4%, from 53.2 million 55.5 million. And number four Facebook increased its unique audience 3%, from 46.7 million to 48.2 million.
Impressively, number five Viacom jumped from sixth place in April, changing places with Microsoft, also growing 9% from 42.5 million to 46.5 million. Microsoft saw its unique audience remain roughly flat at about 46 million.
Hulu Generates 28% of May Video Ads
Americans viewed 4.6 billion video ads in May, with Hulu generating the highest number of video ad impressions at more than 1.3 billion, or about 28% of 4.6 billion total ads viewed. Tremor Media Video Network ranked second overall (and highest among video ad networks) with 700.8 million ad views, followed by Adap.tv (642 million) and BrightRoll Video Network (565 million).
Time spent watching videos ads totaled more than 2 billion minutes during the month, with Hulu delivering the highest duration of video ads at 560 million minutes. Video ads reached 45% of the total U.S. population an average of 34 times during the month. Hulu also delivered the highest frequency of video ads to its viewers, with an average of 48 during the course of the month.
- 176 million US internet users watched online video content in May for an average of 15.9 hours per viewer.
- The total US internet audience engaged in more than 5.6 billion viewing sessions during the course of the month.
- Google had the highest number of viewing sessions with more than 2.1 billion, and highest time spent per viewer at 311 minutes, crossing the five-hour mark for the first time.
- The top video ad networks in terms of their potential reach of the total US population were: Tremor Media at 47.1%, BrightRoll Video Network at 42.1% and Break Media at 40.4%.
- 83.3% of the US internet audience viewed online video.
- The duration of the average online content video was 5.2 minutes, while the average online video ad was 0.4 minutes.
- Video ads accounted for 12.6% of all videos viewed and 1.2% of all minutes spent viewing video online.