Among the 24 markets, a high of 75% in Brazil want most to improve their finances, while those in Sweden seem quite content with their situations, with just 29% saying this is their top goal. In fact, in Sweden, respondents were almost as likely to want to improve their health (26%) as their finances (29%), while being 75% more likely than the global average to want to travel abroad (21% vs. 12%).
In the US, certain population segments are more likely to be financially motivated by others. Some of the more interesting results are listed below:
- Men are 17.4% more likely than women to want to improve their financial situation (54% vs. 46%), while women are almost 50% more likely to want to spend more time with friends and family (22% vs. 15%).
- 35-49-year-olds are 50% more likely than 50-64-year-olds to want to improve their financial situation (57% vs. 38%). Conversely, the older group is 79% more likely to want to spend more time with friends and family (25% vs. 14%).
- Unsurprisingly, older respondents are more concerned with improving their health than younger respondents.
- Non-married respondents are almost 25% more likely than married respondent to most want to better their finances (56% vs. 45%).
- There is very little variation in financial motivations when sorting by education level.
- Somewhat predictably, respondents from low-income households (57%) are more likely than those from medium- (53%) and high-income (47%) households to want to improve their financial situations.
- The employed are more likely than the unemployed to want to better their finances (52% vs. 46%).
- Americans are half as likely as the global average to say that traveling abroad is their top wish for this year (6% vs. 12%).
About the Data: The Ipsos data is based on a weighted sample size of 12,000, from an online survey conducted across 24 countries, with adults aged 18-64 in the US and Canada, and 16-64 in all other countries. The US data is based on a sample size of 500.
The countries reporting were: Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Great Britain, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Poland, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Turkey and the US.