Source: FreeWheel [download page]
Notes: Premium digital video ad views continue to migrate to devices outside of desktops and laptops, per FreeWheel’s latest quarterly report, with strong growth in particular coming from smartphones, which accounted for 17% of overall views, more than double a year earlier. OTT Devices also demonstrated rapid growth year-over-year, though their 8% share was consistent with the previous quarter.
In other study results:
- Authenticated viewing accounted for 57% of long-form and live monetization for programmers (MVPDs) in Q1, more than double the 25% share from a year earlier;
- OTT devices continue to represent the second-largest share of authenticated ad views, at 19% in Q1;
- Overall video views grew by 40% year-over-year and video ad views by 43%, driven by live and long-form viewing;
- Tablets and OTT devices continue to be used primarily for long-form (20+ minutes) and live viewing, with the opposite true for desktops/laptops and smartphones; and
- Ad completion rates were almost as high for post-roll (72%) as for pre-roll (73%) videos.
About the Data: The dataset used for the FreeWheel reports concern the usage and monetization of professional, rights managed video content, and are comprised of over 125 billion video views in 2014. The report is released quarterly and seeks to highlight the changing dynamics of how enterprise-class content owners and distributors are monetizing professional digital video content.
“Programmers” (referenced in the notes above) includes Programmers and Multichannel Video Programming Distributors (MVPDs) who generate the majority of their advertising revenue from linear TV services and who offer a diverse content mix on IP-based environments.