Business marketers on average spend 29.42% of their current marketing budget on the creation and execution of custom content, according to a Junta42 survey of 150 marketing decision makers who subscribe to BtoB magazine?(via MediaPost).
Among the key findings of the study:
- The custom-content product that marketers by far prefer are email newsletters – cited by nearly 69% of respondents. Whitepapers and case studies round out the top 3, cited by 50% and 47%, respectively.
- Some 42% of marketers said they have increased their spending on customized content marketing in 2008; 46% said that spend remained unchanged; and just 12% said they decreased their content marketing spending.
- B2B marketers tend to be unaware of custom publishing educational resources – for example, less than 2% said they were “very aware” of the Custom Publishing Council, Content Marketing Today and Junta42 (a search community site focused on content marketing and custom publishing solutions).
- On the other hand, marketers said they were very aware of Marketing Sherpa (42.7%) and Marketing Profs (32%).
- A plurality of B2B marketers use search engines and colleagues/friends as major sources for finding qualified content providers or custom publishers to produce their content-based projects:
- Search engines – 30%
- Ask colleagues/friends – 28%
- Use internal resources to produce the project – 15.3%
- Industry magazine/website – 12.7%
- Go to my agency – 10.7%
- Hire a consultant – 3.3%