What’s the state of TV in the US today – and what trends are shaping its future? As the largest medium in the biggest advertising market in the world, it warrants a look.
This new MarketingCharts Debrief cuts through the array of numbersÂ (and death knells) to present a data-backed analysis of TV consumption, advertising spend, and purchase influence. The report discusses the evolvingÂ TV industry, offering a wealth of trend data and research-based insight into new viewing behaviors. In so doing, it identifiesÂ the undercurrents shaping the industryÂ and outlines why TV’sÂ future hasn’t arrived yet.
Divided into 3 main sections, this Debrief:
- Analyzes the landscape of TV consumption, highlighting the top trends and taking an agnostic look at changes in traditional TV viewing time;
- Measures TV advertising spending and growth rates against the overall US ad market, identifying top drivers and growth segments; and
- Examines TV’s influence as an advertising medium across key audiences, including a look atÂ the effect ofÂ newer modes of TV viewing onÂ TV ads’ effectiveness.
The 73-page Debrief (PDF format) includes a 17-page reference section filled with resources for further reading and additional charts, and is accompanied by a separate folder containing all 51 charts (PNG format) discussed in the report.
The Debrief was compiled primarily from a mix of data privately-sourced from leading providers and publicly available research (some of which has previously been featured on the MarketingCharts website), and includes some results from primary research recently conducted by MarketingCharts.
- Foreword (p. 5)
- Section 1: The Landscape of TV Consumption (p. 6)
- Sample Chapter – Trends in TV Consumption (p. 9)
[Sample Chart: TV Content Viewing on Alternative Platforms]
- Section 2: The State of TV Advertising Spending (p. 30)
- Sample Chapter – Spotlight: Where’s the Money Going? (p. 33)
[Sample Chart: US TV Ad Spending Share, by Segment]
- Section 3: TV Advertising’s Impact (p. 36)
- Sample Chapter – Is Media Multitasking Affecting TV Ad Effectiveness? (p. 48)
[Sample Chart: Young US Multi-Screeners’ Attitudes to Ads]
- Putting It All Together (p. 54)
- The Last Word: Looking Forward (p. 55)
- References and Additional Charts (p. 56)