Among the top global ad agencies ranked, Mediaedge:cia was the most competitive, according to Paris-based research firm RECMA‘s Compitches Report, its ninth survey of media agency network competitiveness, which analyzes the pitches and moves to media agencies, summarizing advertisers’ choices.
The 2007 rankings:
- The leader Mediaedge:cia got 50% more points than MindShare ranked No. 10: the differences between the networks are significant.
- With four networks in the industry, GroupM/WPP grabs 31% of the total number of points, ahead of Publicis (18% share), Interpublic (15%), Omnicom (14%), Aegis (13%), Havas (9%).
- Even if the pitches and moves are cyclical, the agency competitiveness is constant; based on four years (’04-’07), the best performers are…
- Mediaedge:cia (average 370 points)
- MediaCom (315 points)
- ZenithOptimedia (310 points)
- MindShare (309)
- Carat (308)
- Starcom MediaVest (307)
- OMD (288)
- The USA represents 27% of the total points; Europe 46%.
- Excluding the USA, on the basis of 14 major countries worldwide, the ranking is different:
- OMD (277 points)
- Mediaedge:cia (240)
- MediaCom and ZenithOptimedia (231)
- Carat (227)
- Comparing 2007 and 2006, Mediaedge:cia and MediaCom were ranked No. 2 and No. 3, respectively, behind MindShare No. 1 (354 points); Carat was No. 4 in ’06 vs. No. 7 in ’07; OMD was No. 8 in ’06 and is No. 4 in ’07.
- Some networks have not been rolled globally yet: from Vizeum (10 agencies) to Arena (2 agencies).
In 2007, RECMA analyzed 2,179 pitches and moves, including retentions and extensions of accounts, from 205 agencies in 15 countries.
The methodology is based on a quali-quanti analysis of the departures and wins classified between 12 possible reasons. The agency evaluation is distributed among five grades from A+ to C.