More than 170 million US internet users watched online video during November 2009 and a record high of nearly 31 billion videos were viewed during the month, according to the most recent data from the comScore Video Metrix service.
Top Video Properties
As it has in previous months, Google Sites continued to rank as the top US video property, accounting for 39% of all videos viewed online, comScore said. Google Sites delivered 12.2 billion videos viewed with YouTube.com accounting for nearly 99% of all videos viewed at the property. Hulu ranked at #2 with 924 million videos viewed (3.0%) followed by Viacom Digital with 500 million (1.6%) and Microsoft Sites with 480 million (1.5%).
comScore also reported that more than 170 million viewers watched an average of 182 videos per viewer during November 2009. Google Sites attracted 129 million unique viewers during the month (94.7 videos per viewer), followed by Yahoo Sites with more than 55 million viewers (8.5 videos per viewer) and Fox Interactive Media with 50 million viewers (8.9 videos per viewer).
The average Hulu viewer watched 21.1 videos during the month, totaling 2.1 hours of videos per viewer. This represented another all-time high for the property, according to comScore.
Top Video Ad Networks
In November, Tremor Media ranked as the #1 video ad network with a potential reach of 85 million viewers, or 49.8% of the total viewing audience. Advertising.com Video Network ranked #2 with a potential reach of 80 million viewers (47.1%penetration) followed by YuMe Video Network with 73 million viewers (43.0%).
Other findings from November 2009:
- The top video ad networks in terms of their actual reach delivered were: Tremor Media Video Network with 20.0% penetration of online video viewers, BBE with 17.5%, and BrightRoll Video Network with 16.6%.
- 84.8% of the total US internet audience viewed online video.
- The average online video viewer watched 12.2 hours of video.
- 128.1 million viewers watched more than 12 billion videos on YouTube.com (94.3 videos per viewer).
- 38.6 million viewers watched 333.4 million videos on MySpace.com (8.6 videos per viewer).
- The duration of the average online video was 4.0 minutes.