Several sports-themed videos, including one from April 2010’s dominant video provider Nike, were featured in the May 2010 list of the top 10 viral videos compiled by video content distributor goviral.
In April 2010, athletic equipment company Nike had three videos on the goviral top 10 video list, which included six sports-related videos in all. For its May 2010 list, goviral selected “Write the Future” from Nike. Originally released only on Facebook and nikefootball.com, this video features prominent global soccer stars, as well as tennis champ Roger Federer and cartoon character Homer Simpson. It has received more than 11 million views worldwide.
Other videos focusing on athletic feats include a demonstration of “liquid mountaineering” (running across water) from footwear brand Hi Tec, World Cup soccer imagery in a video promoting Sony 3-D TV, and a humorous depiction of “urban bowling” from Nissan.
The aforementioned Nike video featuring Homer Simpson was not the only video using a pop culture fictional character to make the list. GPS provider TomTom shows Darth Vader, the lead villain from the “Star Wars” films, recording his voice for the company’s service.
The top 10 picks for April, with links to view on YouTube (the link to Stella Artois “Up There” is on Vimeo):
1. Nike – Write the Future, agency: Wieden & Kennedy
2. TomTom – Behind the Scenes of Darth Vader’s Voice Recording, agency: Pool Worldwide
3. Olympus – Pen Giant, agency: DSG
4. Hi Tec – Walk on Water (Liquid Mountaineering), agency: CCCP
5. Arriva Movia – Mukthar’s Birthday – Better Bus Ride, agency: bybird/cadaver
6. Toyota – Toyota Sienna “Swagger Wagon,” agency: Saatchi & Saatchi
7. Sony – 3DTV, agency: Anomaly
8. Nissan – Urban Bowling, agency: TBWA/G1
9. Stella Artois – Up There, agency: Mother
10. Google Chrome, Speed Tests, agency: BBH