The Apple iPhone handset is preferred by a commanding 10.7% of users of Greystripe’s ad-supported mobile gamers network, and the downloadable games “21 Pro Blackjack,” “Cookie Bonus Solitaire” and “Origami Daisy” are the most popular choices among iPhone users, according to Q3 research from the mobile games distributor.
The study also found that the largest number of Greystripe players with iPhones are in the US, Great Britain and Canada.
The October 2008 Consumer Insights report (pdf), which reports mobile-gaming metrics among Greystripe users and provides a deeper look at the consumers playing Greystripe’s games. It also offers a number of mobile gaming demographics, click-through rates and other statistics for users of all devices – in addition to the iPhone – collected from Greystripe’s internal database of users.
Key findings about mobile game players:
- 70% of Greystripe’s US users are between age 18-44.
- Slightly more males (51%) than females (49%) download free mobile games.
- 71% of Greystripe’s users have attended some college or more, with 38% having a Bachelor’s degree or above.
- 42% of respondents have a household income of $78K or more, while 20% earn $165K or more.
- 87% of respondents are either the primary decision maker for purchasing in their household or share the decision-making role.
- 73% of respondents use the mobile web at least once per day with 64% of those respondents using the mobile web more than once per day. Among iPhone users, 75% use the mobile web at least once a day and 66% use the mobile web more than once per day.
- 63% of respondents play video games between 1 hour a month and 9 hours per week.
- 35% of Greystripe’s users have never paid for a mobile game, representing a significant increase in the market size of mobile games when they are offered for free.
- 88% of respondents travel at least occasionally with 25% of those respondents traveling for business. Among iPhone users, 93% travel at least occasionally.
Since its inception in 2006, Greystripe reports that users have downloaded more than 100 million games, with a worldwide 9.1% click-through rate.
“Greystripe’s quarterly Consumer Insights Reports provide a much-needed look into the advertising opportunity within the mobile games and application vertical,” said David Chamberlain, principal analyst at In-Stat. “Metrics are the key to success in advertising and mobile is an area needing this sort of in-depth measurement.”
About the research: The report is based on data gathered from Greystripe users during the third quarter 2008 (July 1 – Sept. 30). Genre, title and handset preferences are reflective of Greystripe’s entire user base, while additional statistics are based on surveys run in the Greystripe network during the same time period.