An online coupon for 15% off at apparel retailer Pacsun.com received more than 5,000 clicks in August 2009, making it the most popular online offer at coupon aggregator RetailMeNot, which recently released its coupon-use data report (pdf) for the month. The site also reported that a $10 off of a $25 purchase at Dick’s Sporting Goods was downloaded 2,568 times and was the most popular printable coupon? for the second month in a row.
RetailMeNot’s report on the top monthly coupons separately reports its online and printable-coupon savings numbers. Overall, consumers saved $3.6 million in August by using online coupons. Printable coupon users downloaded 339,323 offers and saved $1.7 million, based upon an average of $5 savings per coupon downloaded. This is an increase over the approximately $1.3 million saved with printable coupons in July 2009.
In August, the site featured 267,063 online coupons for 38,900 retailers and 109,844 printable coupons for 52,000 stores, brands and restaurants. Sales generated through RetailMeNot.com for the monthwere approximately $18.7 million, a year-over-year change of 94%, from $9.6 million August 2008.
Total Savings Continue to Grow
Since RetailMeNot began tracking its coupon use in mid-April 2009, consumers have downloaded nearly 1.1 million printable coupons and have potentially saved $5.3 million. The RetailMeNot site saw 10.7 million visitors in July 2009, a year-over-year change of 94% over the 5.5 million in August 2008.
Additional findings from the August report:
- Amazon.com, Victoria’s Secret and JCPenney were most searched stores for online coupons:
- Dick’s Sporting Goods, Great Clips and Stanley Steemer were the most searched brands for printable coupons:
- ?The 75075 zip code in McKinney, TX ranked #1 in the top-10 list of zip-codes searched for printable coupons:
- New York, Massachusetts and New Jersey were the top-three states using online coupons, while New Jersey, New York and Arizona used the most printable coupons.
- The top-three printable categories searched were for food, apparel and haircuts:
- 32,643 coupons on the site were shared by users in August.
- 460,655 votes on coupons were submitted by users.
- Members of the RetailMeNot.com site community generated 16,941 comments about coupons and related topics, up from 14,427 in July.
Top Coupon Trends Explained?
Though RetailMeNot.com did not offer any rationale behind the opularity of its top online and printable coupons, a retail spending report from Piper Jaffray found that West Coast Brands (e.g. Pacific Sunwear, Volcom, Quicksilver, Zumiez) took the #1 spot in clothing brand preferences among teens.
Moreover, web statistics released by comScore also revealed that August 2009 saw increases in website traffic to sports sites and sites related to back-to-school shopping, including shopping for sporting goods.
About the data: RetailMeNot Printable aggregates printable coupons from Valpak.com, redplum.com, moneymailer.com, Retaurant.com and Clipper Magazine and makes them searchable by category, brand and location. The site also offers online coupons from numerous retailers. Coupon and shopping trends in the report are based on a compilation of visitor data from RetailMeNot.com and RetailMeNot Printable for August. The approximate savings for printable coupons are calculated based on an average of $5 savings per coupon downloaded. The approximate savings for online coupons are based on the number of online page views multiplied by an average user savings of $29 per coupon used.