An online coupon for 16% off used games at Gamestop.com and a printable coupon for $3 off a 12-piece meal at KFC were the most popular coupons in September 2009,? according to coupon aggregator RetailMeNot, which recently released its coupon-use data report (pdf) for the month.
RetailMeNot’s report on top monthly coupons separately reports its online and printable-coupon savings numbers. Overall, consumers saved $3.59 million in September by using online coupons. Printable coupon users downloaded 290,360 offers and saved $1.45 million, based upon an average of $5 savings per coupon downloaded. While the overall online savings was the same as in August 2009, both numbers for printable coupons represent decreases over the 339,323 coupons downloaded and $1.7 million saved in August 2009.
In September, the site featured 267,743 online coupons for 40,062 retailers and 100,447 printable coupons for 52,000 stores, brands and restaurants. Sales generated through RetailMeNot.com for the monthwere approximately $18.7 million, a year-over-year change of 85%, from $10.1 million September 2008.
Traffic Down, Savings Grow
Since RetailMeNot began tracking its coupon use in mid-April 2009, consumers have downloaded nearly 1.3 million printable coupons and have theoretically saved $6.7? million. The RetailMeNot site saw 10.2 million visitors in September 2009, a month-over-month decline from 10.7 million in August, but a year-over-year change of 85% over the 10.1 million in September 2008.
Additional findings from the September report:
- Victoria’s Secret, Amazon and Macy’s were the most searched stores for online coupons:
- Dick’s Sporting Goods, Chick-Fil-A and Great Clips were the most searched brands for printable coupons:
- ? The 10199 zip code in New York, NY ranked #1 in the top-10 list of zip-codes searched for printable coupons:
- New York, Massachusetts and New Jersey were the top-three states using online coupons (same as in August 2009), while Kentucky, Minnesota and New Jersey used the most printable coupons.
- The top-three printable categories searched were for food, restaurants and haircuts:
- 37,947 coupons on the site were shared by users in September, up from 32,643 in August.
- 460,655 votes on coupons were submitted by users, up from 542,262 in August.
- Members of the RetailMeNot.com site community generated 20,203? comments about coupons and related topics, up from 16,941 in August.
Shift in Game Distribution?
The popularity of the online GameStop coupon comes at a time when the video game/entertainment software retailer may be reconsidering its strategy toward? online video game distribution, which it had not previously expected to pose a significant threat to in-store sales until 2014, writes Retailer Daily.? Last week, GameStop appointed Shawn D. Freeman to the newly created position of SVP and GM of Digital Business.
?About the data: RetailMeNot Printable aggregates printable coupons from Valpak.com, redplum.com, moneymailer.com, Restaurant.com and Clipper Magazine and makes them searchable by category, brand and location. The site also offers online coupons from numerous retailers. Coupon and shopping trends in the report are based on a compilation of visitor data from RetailMeNot.com and RetailMeNot Printable for September. The approximate savings for printable coupons are calculated based on an average of $5 savings per coupon downloaded. The approximate savings for online coupons are based on the number of online page views multiplied by an average user savings of $29 per coupon used.