The top 250 internet retailers have almost universally adopted Facebook and Twitter as marketing channels, while almost as many are on Pinterest as Google+, says Campalyst in a May 2012 infographic. Basing its analysis on Internet Retailer’s Top 500 Internet Retailers 2011 list, and collecting the data from April 14 to May 2, 2012, Campalyst reveals that 97% of the top 250 internet retailers have at least one branded page or channel on Facebook, with Twitter (96%) closely following, and YouTube (90%) also seeing high adoption. Similar to a recent Simply Measured report which found 64% of the Interbrand top 100 brands to have a presence on Google+, the Campalyst data shows Google+ adoption among the top 250 internet retailers to be at 67%, with Pinterest (61%) not far behind. Looking at average follower size, though, a clear winner emerges.
Facebook Dwarfs Other SocNets in Fan Size
Indeed, Campalyst’s analysis finds that despite similar adoption among internet retailers of Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, the average number of followers they boast is easily largest on Facebook (935,758 fans), with Twitter (57,097 followers) far behind. Looking at how this success is distributed, the data shows that the top 10 accounts on Facebook have an average of 10.3 million fans, while the top 10 Twitter accounts have an average of 630 thousand followers. Although the average follower count on Google+ is 16,077, the top 10 accounts have an average of 253,642. This disparity indicates that the top accounts are driving most of the action on the network.
- Among the top 250 internet retailers on Facebook, the most followed industries by average Facebook fan size are mass merchant (2.1 million), toys/hobbies (1.7 million), and apparel/accessories (1.5 million).
- On Twitter, the most followed industries by average follower size are apparel/accessories (106 thousand), toys/hobbies (83,559), and mass merchant (71,524).
- The top retailers have a relatively low number of average subscribers on YouTube (4,371), although they have drawn over 100 million views for their channels. Campalyst insight indicates this to mean that the distribution of their content mostly occurs outside YouTube.
- On YouTube, the most followed industries by average subscribers are computers/electronics (11,600), toys/hobbies (7,877), and apparel/accessories (6,236).
- The most followed industries on Google+ by average number of followers are computers/electronics (56,219), housewares/home furnishings (33,944), and mass merchant (21,807).
- Pinterest follower numbers are comparatively low, led on average by the hardware/home improvement (1,846), apparel/accessories (1,262), and housewares/home furnishing (841) industries.