User engagement and interaction are significantly improved in ads that leverage video and “richer” rich media compared with GIF and simple Flash rich media advertisements, according to a rich media study conducted by InsightExpress and commissioned by Viewpoint Corporation.
The study results showed much-increased purchase intent, brand awareness and ad favorability from survey respondents, according to Unicast by Viewpoint. Its Unicast Video and Unicast HD3D ad formats outperformed the GIF and simple rich media examples, the study found:
- Unaided brand awareness increased 229%
- Ad favorability – 108%
- Purchase intent – 78%
- Brand favorability – 77%
Some additional, more-detailedÂ findings from the study:Â
- Purchase Intent:
- An Expandable Interactive HD3D ad was nearly twice as likely to generate a “Very Likely” to buy response (the highest rating on a five point scale) among users than an In-Page Flash ad, representing a 78% purchase intent lift.
- Expandable Video Wall and Expandable Video ads generated a 67% purchase intent lift over an In-Page Flash ad.
- Brand Awareness:
- A Video Wall ad generated the most brand awareness; 23% of respondents exposed to this type of ad were able to freely recall the advertised product – that’s a 229% unaided brand awareness lift over the tested GIF ad.
- An Expandable Interactive HD3D and an Expandable Video ad both generated a 143% unaided brand awareness lift over a GIF ad.
- Ad Favorability
- An In-Page Video ad generated a 108% ad favorability lift compared with a GIF ad.
- An Interactive Expandable HD3D ad generated a 100% ad favorability lift compared with a GIF ad.
- An Expandable Video ad generated a 75% ad favorability lift compared with a GIF ad.
- Brand Favorability:
- An Expandable Video ad was nearly twice as likely to generate a “Very Favorable” opinion about the brand advertised than an In-Page Flash ad among respondents – a 77% brand favorability lift.
- An Interactive Expandable HD3D ad generated a 62% brand favorability lift over an In-Page Flash ad.
“InsightExpress has conducted numerous studies about ad performance. However this study specifically compares typical rich media with more evolved forms of rich media, such as HD3D and video. The results illustrate the positive impact of deploying more engaging formats to increase a user’s interaction with an advertisement,” said Annette Mullin, director of marketing and account management at InsightExpress.
“There is no question that advertisements with robust content, superior visual fidelity and increased interactivity are more powerful and engaging, and we now have the data to prove it,” said Patrick Vogt, CEO of Viewpoint.Â “While this richer category now represents only 2% of total online advertising, we expect it to grow substantially over the next two years based on trends we see in the marketplace”