Most adults say advertising on digital signage catches their attention – and they consider such advertising unique and entertaining, and less annoying than both traditional and online media, according to a study by OTX (Online Testing eXchange) conducted for SeeSaw Networks.
The “Digital Out-of-Home Media Awareness & Attitude Study” is the first to compare digital out-of-home media to other media, SeeSaw said.
Shortcuts to charts in this article:
- Advertising considered interesting and entertaining, by medium
- Advertising considered annoying, by medium
- Advertising catches attention and is unique, by medium
- Those who pay “some” or “a lot of” attention to advertising on mediumÂ
- Media attributes, 18-34-year-olds vs. general adult population
Among the findings of the study:
- Awareness of digital out-of-home media is high:
- Some 62% of adults have seen digital signage in the past 12 months – levels similar to billboards (66%), magazines (67%) and newspapers (63%).
- That compares with 92% for TV, 75% for radio, 78% for internet and 10% for mobile phones.
- On average, people notice digital signage in six different kinds of locations during their week, giving advertisers the opportunity to intercept people at various touch points.
- Digital out-of-home advertising is engaging:
- Respondents found digital signage advertising to be more unique (58%), interesting (53%) and entertaining (48%), and less annoying (26%), than other media.
- Some 63% of those who have seen digital signage say it attracted their attention, compared withÂ 58% for billboards, 57% for magazines, 56% for TV, 47% for internet, 40% for newspaper, 37% for radio and 10% for mobile.
- 44% of adults say they pay some or a lot of attention to digital signage advertising, placing it ahead of traditional billboards, the internet and mobile phones, and on par with magazines, radio and newspapers.
- Reaching young people is a strength of digital out-of-home media:
- 75% of 18-34-year-olds have seen digital signage in the past 12 months and notice digital signage in seven different locations during their week.
- This demographic finds the advertising on digital signage to be more unique (63%), interesting (57%) and entertaining (53%) than advertising on other media and rates the media even higher than the general population across these measures.