Not surprisingly, Millennials (18-34) are more likely than the public at-large to typically be interested in the latest technology products, services and apps, according to data recently released by YouGov. Notably, though, Asian-American Millennials and Hispanic Millennials lead the way in emerging tech interest.
Indeed, two-thirds (67%) of Asian-American Millennials surveyed agreed that they’re interested in the latest technology, as did 65% of Hispanic Millennials.
By comparison, fewer Black Millennials (61%) and White Millennials (59%) are typically interested in trying out the latest gadgets. Overall, half of the general adult public expressed such interest.
The results align with previous research into the tech adoption patterns of both Asian-Americans and Hispanics.
- Hispanics are more likely than their non-Hispanic counterparts to use a variety of tech devices, and the gap is particularly pronounced for emerging technologies, according to a PwC report; and that
- Asian-Americans differ from the general population in their video behaviors, leaning more heavily than others on digital vehicles such as internet-connected devices and subscription video-on-demand services, according to Nielsen.
Black Millennials Lead in Purchase Intent
Worth noting, though, is that when it comes to purchase intent for the tech trio – smartphone, laptop, and tablet – it’s Black Millennials leading the way.
According to YouGov’s data, Black Millennials are the most likely to intend to buy a laptop (25%) and tablet (16%) in the next 12 months. They’re joined by Hispanic Millennials in their likelihood to buy a smartphone (43%) in the coming year.
Finally, Asian Millennials are the most apt to already own a smartphone, with 89% reporting ownership.
About the Data: The results are based on an ongoing survey using YouGov Profiles, an agile market research tool that tracks more than 200,000 US residents aged 18 and older. All data is nationally representative and updated weekly.
The data, updated on July 9, 2017, had the following sample sizes (varying depending on the question/variable asked):
- General public: 52-58,000;
- Asian Millennials: 460-660;
- Black Millennials: 644-2001;
- Hispanic Millennials: 952-2153; and
- White Millennials: 5136-8374.