A leading 73% of consumers who prefer shopping online do so because it is time saving, according to data from Invesp. This is one-third more than the 55% who say they prefer shopping online because of less prices (more than one answer permitted).
Other reasons to prefer shopping online that beat price include more variety (67%), easy to compare prices (59%) and no crowd (58%). Directly financial reasons, such as spending less on gas (40%) and less taxes (30%) were also among the less popular aspects of shopping online.
Global E-commerce Sales to Hit $1.4T by 2015
Invesp predicts global e-commerce sales, which will total $680.6 billion USD this year, will grow 106% to reach $1.4 trillion in 2015. On a year-over-year basis, global e-commerce sales will rise 20.5% to $820.5 billion in 2012, and 17% to $963 billion in 2013.
Meanwhile, e-commerce sales in the US, which are expected to total $197 billion this year, should grow roughly 10% a year for the next four years, hitting $297 billion in 2015 (51% increase compared to 2011).
- More than 80% of the online population has used the internet to purchase something
- More than 50% of the online population has shopped online more than once.
- 40% of online shoppers pay with credit cards and/or bank transfers. Thirty-five percent use each of the following methods: debit cards, COD, e-wallets, prepaid cards.
- There will be 178 million online consumers in the US this year. That number will increase 13% to 201 million in 2015.
- Residents of North Dakota spend the highest percentage of their income (16.7%) online among the US states. This is almost nine times the 1.83% of income spent by residents of Maine, the state which spends the least percentage of its income online. Interestingly, residents of neighboring South Dakota spend the second-lowest percentage of their income online (2.07%).
My Coupon Codes: Books Top Online Purchase
Global online consumers say that books and clothes are the items they most plan to purchase in the next six months, according to analysis of Nielsen Company global data by My Coupon Codes. Forty-four percent of global online consumers say they will buy books online in the next six months, while 36% plan to buy clothing.
Other top planned near-term online purchases include airline tickets (32%), electronic equipment (27%) and airline reservations (26%).